FOR SALE

Friday 14 October 2016

First attempt....Pocahontas has a new look!

After posting yesterday about my new customised Disney Animator Rapunzel, today I was itching to have a go at customising one of the two girls that I already have here.  I bought two girls for the price of one in the sale at the Disney Store in Romford last October when I was in the UK for the Chat n Snap.  I thought I'd take advantage of the cheap price and brought home both Mulan from Aladdin and Pocahontas.  They've been standing around for a whole year waiting for me to have time to work on them and finally today I took the plunge!!

I decided to start with Pochontas, for no other reason than she was already undressed!  Here is how she looks in her default state.  She is actually quite cute but I don't really like the printed eyes:


Because these dolls have rooted hair rather than wigged, I wanted to make sure her hair was completely covered during the 'makeover' process, so as not to ruin it with the sealant spray:


Having covered her hair, I removed her original face paint.  You can just see a very faint mark where her original eyebrows were as the paint was very dark and stained the vinyl.  It wasn't a problem though because that would be covered by the new eyebrows:


I used white acrylic paint to paint the whites of the eyes and I used brown chalk pastels and watercolour pencils for the new eyebrows:


I then used watercolour pencils for her new pupils and irises.  I used chalk pastels for the lips and blush.  I added freckles using thinned down acrylic paint and a cocktail stick!  When the face was complete, I sealed it all with Mr Super Clear sealant.   I didn't take photos of the individual stages here because I got carried away with it!!! 

Once the new face was sealed, I used a water based gloss varnish on her eyes and lips, one layer on the lips as I didn't want them high gloss and about 5 thin layers on the eyes.


After the varnish on the eyes was completely dry, I added human sized false eyelashes on the upper lids and then she was finished!!!

Below she is wearing an 'angel top' that I made some years ago for Sasha, tights, thick socks and she's borrowed boots from my Wichtel dolls.

I washed and conditioned her hair to remove any 'dressing' and then  cut approx 5cm off the length.










I'm actually really happy with how she came out because I've never done eyes before, but I have learned a few things in the process. 

Next time, when I customise my other Disney doll, I will do a couple of things differently.  Firstly, I don't think I'll use white acrylic for the sclera (white part of the eye) as it makes an uneven surface for the watercolour pencils, I would prefer the surface smoother.  Next time I think I will build up layers of white using a white watercolour pencil.  Hopefully then I will get a much smoother finish on the iris.

Secondly, I will wash and condition the hair prior to starting work on the face, I think it's safer that way! 

Apart from that, I think I will probably work roughly the same way on Mulan and I don't think I'll wait a year to start on her either!!

I hope you've enjoyed seeing my customising of Pochontas, thanks for stopping by.  I hope you all have a great weekend!


20 comments:

  1. I am truly amazed and completely in awe of what you can do to and for these little dolls with your very clever make up artistry...not to mention their hair cutting and styling.
    I know that I wouldn't ever have the guts to even attempt the very basic changes to my Sasha Brood...although I have managed, on several occasions, trimmed badly falling brunette hair down to short stubs to allow for the wearing of wigs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Kendal! I cannot resist making a doll 'my own', if you know what I mean, whether it is by customising like this or by some other means that grabs me at the time!
      I did the same as a child.....but back then it was called being 'scissor happy!'
      xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow, she looks amazing! That's your first time doing eyes?? Holy moly. :) Thanks for sharing your tips and tricks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Farrah, and yes, I've never drawn eyes like this before, I've only ever used/changed inset eyes on dolls but I thought I'd give it a go....I'm very happy with how it came out for a first attempt. And now itching to start on another!
      xxx

      Delete
  3. Brilliant Sharon, she's much more appealing now! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, glad you think so....because I know you have particular taste in dolls ;)
      xxx

      Delete
  4. Another amazing transformation! I just love how you have totally changed this dolls character! It was not till I met you Sharon that I realised that people can get a bland ordinary doll and then transform it into something really special!
    Taking off their hair, removing their eyes and then replacing them in such a way that they become more unique! Cannot wait to see what the next one looks like after you've Shazzed her ! and it's great to see you enjoying yourself again :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Dee, I'm glad you think so.
      I love that, Shazzed! Yes, this one has been well and truly 'Shazzed!
      xxx

      Delete
  5. GROAN! I should have kept my Pocahontas and sent her to you for eye surgery! Your girl is now stunning. Those printed eyes were a big turn off for me.
    Poor girl, thoughm she does look nervous wearing the shower cap ready for eye surgery...... Glad she survived and came out looking beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish you had Jenni because I love doing this sort of thing and would have enjoyed doing her for you. :(
      Well if another comes your way, send her here and I'll 'Shazz' her! ;) And thank you for the nice comments on her!
      xxx

      Delete
  6. Sharon she is beautiful, well done you, can't wait to see what you come up with next xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning work on her eyes! Congratulations. Love her the way she is looking now a lot :-). Liss xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Liss, I'm glad you think so :)
      xxx

      Delete
  8. Wow Wee Sharon! She is truly amazing now that you have repainted her! I love her eyes and lashes and her freckles and lips and blushing....I love it all <3 What a nice hair styling and outfit. You are so very talented and thank you for sharing this dear little girl. Big Hugs! :) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ginger, I'm glad you like what I've done with her. I've had fun working on her :)
      Big hugs to you too!
      xxx

      Delete
  9. It's amazing what you can do with watercolour pencils! She looks so cool now. Her outfit suits her perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ursula, I'm glad you like what I've done!
      xxx

      Delete
  10. I thought she was pretty cute to start with Sharon, but what you've done looks awesome!! I love the different colours and positioning of her eyes and the softness you've given to her pouty lips and brows is wonderful. She's perfectly gorgeous now.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Xanadu, I'm glad you think so. I enjoyed my first attempt and will keep practicing as I really like doing this....although I'll probably end up with a bunch more dolls!!!
      xxx

      Delete

Your comment will be visible after moderation.