FOR SALE

Saturday 30 May 2015

A flea market find....

Today is my hubby Brian's birthday and I suggested we go to Fuengirola to the big flea market there (I certainly know how to treat a Birthday Boy, don't I ;) ), well it's technically in a place called Los Boliches, and takes part every Saturday.  You have to get there early as parking is a nightmare, plus the Danish restaurant where we like to have breakfast only serves it until 11am.  I've shown the breakfast from this restaurant on here in the past but here it is again......a lovely feast to set us up for the market!!!


So after our breakfast and coffee, we started on the stalls!  I always look out for dolls and anything dolly sized that I could use as props, but usually come home empty handed.  That NP Sasha for €10 wasn't there again today.....just the usual biro covered Barbies, ugly footless Bratz and hollow plastic Nancys!!  However, on one stall an unusual but cute 'fellow' caught my eye so I haggled with the seller who told me the doll was 'special' (yeah right!!) and got the price down to €12 which I thought was reasonable.  I thought the doll was a boy but when I got back to the car and had a look, I realised it's supposed to be a girl as she has two plaits pulled up the sides of her head and tied with a bow under her headscarf.

The doll is approx 20 inches tall and made completely of felt but has a wire aperature inside.  She is nice and clean without any odours, thank goodness!  The hair is made of faux fur and stuck on and the face is painted or maybe printed on, I'm not sure which.  The clothes are not removable and are quite well made with all the seams finished that I can see.  The backpack straps and the belt are made of leatherette.  The only thing missing seems to be the belt buckle.  There aren't any labels or tags on the doll or her clothing, so I have no idea where she comes from or whether she is from a company or handmade by an individual.  She stands up on her own really well.  I have no idea where she will fit into my doll collection, she is completely different from anything else I have, but I thought it would be nice to bring her home!!!

So here she is, I hope someone might be able to enlighten me about her, any information would be greatly appreciated!  I thought she looked sort of Austrian or German, maybe Swiss?  But really she could be just a home-made Spanish doll!  Who knows!

Full length view:


Close up:


Full length back view:


 Choco seemed quite interested.....



The second doll I found is currently still damp after having her hair washed so I will show you her another time!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!


13 comments:

  1. Well, what a bargain you got there S!! Choco seems to think so too...love to all your canine crew from mine...enjoy the rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL well bargain it may be but who/what is it!!!! That's what I'd love to know! But so far, any information eludes me :)
      Thank you, I hope you've had a good weekend too with your doglets too Ronny!
      xxx

      Delete
  2. Pardon me for thinking that it was Brian's, not your, birthday! Apart from the breakfast treat did he get to buy anything for himself from the flea market.... or was it just you and the two new dolls?
    A belated happy birthday Brian! Hope that your day wasn't too much of a 'dollie' day overall!
    Ps. I can see why you first thought that this was a boy doll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well I have to say that I'm married to one of the most generous men out there, he never wants anything for himself and so no, he didn't find anything to buy at the market.....It was indeed just me!!!! I'm very spoilt!
      Thank for the belated birthday wishes for Brian! I will pass them on.
      Yes indeed this does look like a boy, doesn't it! Unless of course it is just a boy who likes his hair in plaits?
      xxx

      Delete
  3. I love her - she has so much character.Choco clearly thinks she's an interesting addition to the family.......and oooooh, the breakfast - I love that kind of plattr, especially on hot days when eating al fresco, which isn't possible too often here!

    I hope Brian found some special items at the flea market, too and had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenni, I just had to adopt her because she looked like she really wanted to go home with someone...who am I to ignore that look eh?
      The breakfast in this place is lovely, so fresh and appetising. And very reasonably priced too, the whole lot is just over 4 euros each and includes coffee too, or in my case hot chocolate. Lovely! Really sets you up for the market.
      No, Brian didn't find anything, but he didn't mind...because afterwards we went to the Iceland supermarket and he found lots there :)
      xxx

      Delete
  4. What a sweet little girl/boy! There are at least 2 well known felt doll makers that I know of that reside in Spain and maybe this dear one was made by one of those companies. I do not know with certainty but do know the doll is adorable and a real bargain too! Well done! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for that information Ginger and for your nice comments. I'm going to email you to ask about those two felt doll makers you mention, it would be so interesting to learn more about this sweet happy little doll, wouldn't it!
      xxx

      Delete
    2. Sharon, a few felt/cloth doll maker names: Mary Vazquez; Loy of Spain; Klumpe, Nistis; Roldan; Layna; Nati. Good luck with finding the maker!! :) xxx

      Delete
    3. Thank you very much for those names Ginger, I've been looking at them this afternoon and although I've not come up with any definite answers yet, one of the Mary Vazquez dolls looked vaguely similar.
      I will let you know if I find anything!
      xxx

      Delete
  5. That's an interesting addition to your doll crew ! I have not seen one before so am no help with who she could be.
    She was a good price and looks in very good condition. :) hugs Dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an interesting addition to your doll crew ! I have not seen one before so am no help with who she could be.
    She was a good price and looks in very good condition. :) hugs Dee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee, and yes in very good condition. I have no idea why I bought her home but she called out to me not to leave her there baking in the sunshine! :) What's a person to do? ;)
      xxx

      Delete

Your comment will be visible after moderation.