FOR SALE

Sunday 20 November 2016

A trip to London....

I have just returned from a week in London visiting with my mum who turned 80 years old on the 10th November.  She had organised a party to celebrate with her friends and family and she worked like a Trojan on the catering and all the things that need to be sorted out for it....I hope I have her energy when I reach her age!

My friend Magdalena came with me on my trip and my hubby Brian stayed home with the dogs....he won't leave them with anyone, although to be honest, he wouldn't want to go back to the UK even if we didn't have the dogs....he's only been back twice in 12 and a half years and both times under sufferance LOL.  So off I went with my friend who'd never been to the UK before, in fact this was actually her first time flying!  Thankfully she loved the journey and wasn't in the least bit nervous about taking to the air for the first time.

Because Magdalena was with me, I thought we would do the 'touristy thing' and go into London for the day, so we go on the tube last Sunday and headed for the centre of town.  We were joined by my son Brendan and his wife, Virginia, and spent the day walking from sight to sight taking in as much as we could in the one day. 

Here are a few of the photos from that day, I hope you enjoy them!  (Please forgive the fact that they are all out of order!!!)

Tower Bridge


The Gherkin


Some very nice sailors!
(that hat was waaay too small for me, looks like a pimple on a mountain!!!!) 


A police launch on the Thames


The Houses of Parliament and Big Ben


The London skyline


The Houses of Parliament again...looks like they've got the builders in!


Thames cruises


Magdalena, Brendan and Virginia in front of the London Eye


The Cenotaph  
We visited on Remembrance Sunday, hence all the beautiful poppies

 


The monument below is situated just along from the Cenotaph above, and commemorates the women of World War 2.  
(We were a little saddened that it had so few poppy reefs in comparison :( )
 

 Downing Street


A guard from the Household Cavalry




Brendan, Magdalena and Virgina in front of the Tower of London


And in front of Tower Bridge


And Magdalena gets to meet a Beefeater or Yeoman of the Guard as they are called.


 The Mayor of London's office on the South Bank


Magdalena at Tower Bridge


The London Eye 
(you can see we were lucky with the weather that day!)



Some more Big Ben photos
(most people will know that really Big Ben refers to the clock's bell inside the tower)


 


Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square


I hope you've enjoyed seeing a little bit of London, thanks for visiting.  I hope everyone has a great week ahead!



10 comments:

  1. Lovely Sharon, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo's Sharon,so nice that you had a chance to show your friend around the sights in London.
    Although you do all look a little cold lol but it looks like it stayed dry for you, so cold and bright's not so bad. Mmm how did you get into conversation with those sailors? a great photo but you should have asked for a bigger hat!!
    Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you Mum had a lovely 80th xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee, and yes it really was nice to be able to show Magdalena around London, but then London is a wonderful city to visit, isn't it!
      We were very fortunate with the weather, it was cool enough to walk around but dry and that was the main thing.
      xxx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing all these nice pics!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Daniela, thank you for visiting.
      xxx

      Delete
  4. I love your photos of London Sharon! What a beautiful day to tour London! I am happy you were able to spend time with your Mom on her birthday...how very special to have that time together. It is so nice to see your son and his pretty wife, Virginia. Also nice to see your traveling companion Magdalena. Your photos bring back very happy memories of time I spent in London last May with Tricia after the SCW. I am so happy that you and I finally met one another at the SCW and I felt like I known you for years! Yeah! A wonderful post. :) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ginger, it was a lovely day, we were very fortunate with the weather and everything.
      Oh it was fantastic to finally meet, and yes, I know exactly what you mean, I felt the same with you! I love that feeling, it's so 'comfortable' isn't it!!!
      Big hugs xxx

      Delete
  5. All the nice girls love a sailor Sharon, that's why I married one! LOL! Great photos BTW, I enjoyed the trip down memory lane. Thanks!
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Tell me about it Xanadu! I have always liked sailors, well men in uniform if I'm really honest!!! ;) But that hat was just like a pimple on a mountain on my hear, wasn't it! Glad you enjoyed the photos.
      xxx

      Delete

Your comment will be visible after moderation.